Saturday, June 9, 2012

Random Update

Wow I guess it has been a while since I have blogged, the whole site is different. I don't like it.  Well I just thought I would throw a quick post together.  I applied for Vegas, long story short came extremely close to getting it, but they chose someone else with a little more IT background.  I'm really quite okay with it.  Maybe like 10% dissapointed, 90% relieved I get to stay in Flagstaff a bit longer and not have to live in the desert.   Professionally I do think it would have been a great place for me though.

Regardless, the whole process really highlighted what I think is important in a place to live and what I want out of the next chapter, whatever that may be.  I used to be very oriented towards getting back to the Northwest but I'm starting to think there is so much else out there, I shouldn't limit myself. I've been away so long at this point that going back isn't really important to me, I've adapted elsewhere.   What I do want is a bit larger city, with 4 seasons.  That would be ideal, and in an office that likes me for the skills I have of course.  So I put together the above map to just help me visualize what I'm looking at. 

Basically, the red shading is offices that I would definitely apply for, you may notice Flagstaff is red.  I don't want to stay in Flag forever, but Im so comfortable and adapted at this point, it would be silly not to apply. And I really love the weather here.  I just wish it was a bigger city and people I met didn't always move back to Phoenix.   

The Orange shading is offices that there is a 50% chance or greater that I would apply for.  So offices that I probably would put in for.   The yellow shaded offices are probably not going to be applied for, but I would at least give it some thought if an opening came up.  The light gray are "nope,  not interested", and the dark gray are, "There is no way in hell I would ever live there", locations.   One side note, there is probably a lot of really nice places on the eastern 2/3 of the country, I've just never been there and have no real reason to be there.   Nothing against those places, I just don't know much about them.  If I had to pick one dream office, it would be Minneapolis.  4 solid seasons, beautiful city, good location, its all great, I'm hoping something pops up there again.

So that's what I'm thinking about, it will be interesting to see where I eventually end up, but I've decided I'm in no real hurry, I mean, who would run away from this?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment